Why Leave?
That's right. I want to leave Southern California. People who are so enamored of the wonderful climate here cannot understand why anyone would want to leave. It's a fair question. There are many things to love about living here, and not only the weather.
Here is a list of my personal pros and cons of living in Los Angeles:
CONS
Number One: I really want to own my home. Despite an above-average income, I can't even afford an average home within (at least) 50 miles of where I work. Real-estate prices here are legendary. On my own, I'll never be able to buy anything I'd enjoy living in.
Number Two: Sheer volume and density of population. Did you know there are more people than trees in the State of California? This almost ties with Number One. It means a lot of environmental toxins and pollution, congestion on the streets and freeways, and intense competition for tickets to anything worth seeing, not to mention road rage and other social side-effects. Plus it, along with the proximity of the ports, makes the place an attractive target for terrorists. I want to help change that people-to-tree ratio; I will plant a tree, and then I will leave.
Number Three: A general lack of easy fellowship and relaxed social acceptance. Yeah, I know, it's just a cultural difference. Some blame it on the snobbery of celebrity; local attitude related to the proximity of the area's largest industry. I wonder. The fact that people here don't talk to or even acknowledge the presence of strangers could also be related to the huge diversity of the place. Would we all be able to live together so (comparatively) peacefully if we weren't also so aloof? Maybe, but I guess I prefer a place with friendlier people, and I don't want to believe that less ethnic diversity need go along with it.
I could go on; perhaps blame the upcoming Big One. But the threat of earthquakes aren't driving me away. The truth is, I'm a small-city person. I grew up in a city that had about half-a-million, and anything over a million just seems too big to me. I'm looking for someplace with as many of the L.A. lifestyle benefits as possible, while adding the benefits that come with a smaller size. Which brings me to the pros.
PROS
* The Sunshine. Sure, I like the legendary climate. Well, I mean, who wouldn't? Okay, I guess yer average vampire (or Goth) wouldn't care about that. For me, beautiful weather is conducive to a healthy lifestyle, with lots of exercise, outdoor events and activities. Still, I don't expect to find the kind of year-round mild climate I'm used to here. I grew up in Minnesota, after all. I'm not sure if I could handle a place where it rains more often than it shines, but I'd love to live somewhere that has thunderstorms from time to time, and snow can mean winter fun with the right companions
* Fresh produce in the Farmers' Market. Surely, L.A. doesn't have a monopoly on Farmers' Markets. I love good food, so I'd like to find a city where people care about such things, along with great restaurants, good grocery markets and culinary events. A big bonus would be a place with a good climate for gardening, so I can grow my own herbs and tomatoes.
* A great commute. I'm lucky enough to live less than 10 miles from where I work. I can ride my bike on most days. On days when I must drive, even with heavy traffic, I spend very little time on the road. This issue becomes less important as I move more and more into independent work, telecommuting and using my bike for recreation and exercise.
* Culture. Any good-sized city has museums, concert halls, and theaters. In Southern California, there's an embarrasment of riches. I admit, I like it. If my appetites go beyond what's available close to home, I travel.
So there you have it. In a big nutshell. If you want to nominate any candidates for Moi's next home, I'd be glad to hear them.
Here is a list of my personal pros and cons of living in Los Angeles:
CONS
Number One: I really want to own my home. Despite an above-average income, I can't even afford an average home within (at least) 50 miles of where I work. Real-estate prices here are legendary. On my own, I'll never be able to buy anything I'd enjoy living in.
Number Two: Sheer volume and density of population. Did you know there are more people than trees in the State of California? This almost ties with Number One. It means a lot of environmental toxins and pollution, congestion on the streets and freeways, and intense competition for tickets to anything worth seeing, not to mention road rage and other social side-effects. Plus it, along with the proximity of the ports, makes the place an attractive target for terrorists. I want to help change that people-to-tree ratio; I will plant a tree, and then I will leave.
Number Three: A general lack of easy fellowship and relaxed social acceptance. Yeah, I know, it's just a cultural difference. Some blame it on the snobbery of celebrity; local attitude related to the proximity of the area's largest industry. I wonder. The fact that people here don't talk to or even acknowledge the presence of strangers could also be related to the huge diversity of the place. Would we all be able to live together so (comparatively) peacefully if we weren't also so aloof? Maybe, but I guess I prefer a place with friendlier people, and I don't want to believe that less ethnic diversity need go along with it.
I could go on; perhaps blame the upcoming Big One. But the threat of earthquakes aren't driving me away. The truth is, I'm a small-city person. I grew up in a city that had about half-a-million, and anything over a million just seems too big to me. I'm looking for someplace with as many of the L.A. lifestyle benefits as possible, while adding the benefits that come with a smaller size. Which brings me to the pros.
PROS
* The Sunshine. Sure, I like the legendary climate. Well, I mean, who wouldn't? Okay, I guess yer average vampire (or Goth) wouldn't care about that. For me, beautiful weather is conducive to a healthy lifestyle, with lots of exercise, outdoor events and activities. Still, I don't expect to find the kind of year-round mild climate I'm used to here. I grew up in Minnesota, after all. I'm not sure if I could handle a place where it rains more often than it shines, but I'd love to live somewhere that has thunderstorms from time to time, and snow can mean winter fun with the right companions
* Fresh produce in the Farmers' Market. Surely, L.A. doesn't have a monopoly on Farmers' Markets. I love good food, so I'd like to find a city where people care about such things, along with great restaurants, good grocery markets and culinary events. A big bonus would be a place with a good climate for gardening, so I can grow my own herbs and tomatoes.
* A great commute. I'm lucky enough to live less than 10 miles from where I work. I can ride my bike on most days. On days when I must drive, even with heavy traffic, I spend very little time on the road. This issue becomes less important as I move more and more into independent work, telecommuting and using my bike for recreation and exercise.
* Culture. Any good-sized city has museums, concert halls, and theaters. In Southern California, there's an embarrasment of riches. I admit, I like it. If my appetites go beyond what's available close to home, I travel.
So there you have it. In a big nutshell. If you want to nominate any candidates for Moi's next home, I'd be glad to hear them.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home